This innovative, short book: STOP – Things You MUST Know Before Trying to Help Someone with Addiction by Glenn Rader is essential, practical information for family members and friends.
FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich., Nov. 14, 2018 /PRNewswire/ — People trying to help someone who is struggling with alcohol or drug addiction frequently spend years of trial and error, and significant emotional and financial resources, on unsuccessful efforts to help an addict. Armed with wrong assumptions regarding addiction and the pathway to recovery, many well-intentioned, smart, and otherwise resourceful people are unable to affect any change in the addict’s situation.
The book, STOP – Things You MUST Know Before Trying to Help Someone with Addiction, is based on the author’s first-hand, real-world experience working with people who have succeeded, and failed, in their attempts to help someone struggling with addiction. This experience, combined with research on the subject, is the foundation for this groundbreaking guide. The book will change your view of what “helping” an addict really means.
In a short, easy-to-read format STOP provides information in three important areas:
- A practical perspective on addiction and the successful path to recovery,
- The misguided beliefs that lead people down the wrong path and to make critical mistakes trying to help someone, and
- Eight practical actions that you can take to help someone get into recovery and to support them in their new lifestyle.
In interviews and group presentations Glenn Rader can talk about:
- Assumptions regarding addiction and recovery that are prevalent in society, that cause a high rate of failure in helping an addict,
- Misguided beliefs people have about their relationship with the addict that result in ineffective actions, and
- Tools that are used by people who are successful in encouraging the addict to seek recovery and maintain an alcohol and drug-free lifestyle.
Feedback from readers (Amazon.com)
- “A real-world guide to helping someone with addiction”
- “A great way to navigate tough waters”
- “Insightful and supportive”
- “Easy to read and in a great format”
- “Excellent tools for “battling the devil” – addiction!“
About the Author
Glenn Rader is a successful business professional who turned his significant analysis, research, and writing talents to the subject of helping people struggling with addiction. This followed his own struggle with alcohol and drug addiction and successful recovery. Mr. Rader worked with families and friends of addicts at a major addiction treatment center; learning about the actions people have taken that are successful, and those that have failed, in trying to help someone with addiction. This knowledge, combined with an extensive literature review, led him to write the book STOP – Things You MUST Know Before Trying to Help Someone with Addiction.